!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya citing experience of previous waves
- Not appropriate to say Covid third wave will hit children more, says Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya.
- States given vaccine availability projections 15 days in advance; it’s their responsibility to plan inoculation accordingly, he said.
Sanjal Gavande, one of the key engineers who designed Blue Origin’s New Shephard rocket
- Born in Kalyan, Maharashtra, Sanjal Gavande is a systems engineer at Blue Origin who always dreamt of designing aerospace rockets.
- After completing Bachelor’s in mechanical engineering from the University of Mumbai, she flew to the US in 2011 to pursue Master’s in mechanical engineering from the Michigan Technological University.
- She also applied for an engineering job at the US space agency NASA but finally landed her dream job at Blue Origin.
- Bezos, his brother Mark, aviation pioneer Mary Wallace ‘Wally’ Funk and other passengers are set to liftoff from west Texas and travel just beyond the edge of space on July 20.
Preparations are on for a possible third wave: Naidu
26 MPs from 21 parties have participated in this debate (on issues related to COVID-19). My suggestion is that we should give confidence to the nation. There is already talks of a third wave & we should assure people that preparations are on: Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu
Bharat Biotech to supply 3.5 crore doses of its Covid vaccine in August: Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya in Rajya Sabha
Blue Origin’s 11-minute voyage
The American billionaire Jeff Bezos is due to fly from a desert site in West Texas on an 11-minute voyage to the edge of space, nine days after Briton Richard Branson was aboard his competing space tourism company Virgin Galactic’s successful inaugural suborbital flight from New Mexico.
Branson got to space first, but Bezos is due to fly higher – 62 miles (100 km) for Blue Origin compared to 53 miles (86 km) for Virgin Galactic – in what experts call the world’s first unpiloted space flight with an all-civilian crew.
Bezos riding own rocket on company’s 1st flight with people
- Jeff Bezos is about to soar on his space travel company’s first flight with people on board.
- The founder of Blue Origin as well as Amazon on Tuesday will become the second billionaire to ride his own rocket. He’ll launch from West Texas with his brother, an 18-year-old from the Netherlands and an 82-year-old female aviation pioneer from Texas _ the youngest and oldest to ever hurtle off the planet.
- Blue Origin’s New Shepard rocket is set to blast off with its eclectic group of passengers on the 52nd anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.
Phase-III trials of DRDO’s 2DG oral drug
The complete clinical study report of Phase-III trials of DRDO’s 2DG oral drug in moderate to severe COVID-19 patients is expected to be available by the end of August 2021: Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers in Lok Sabha
DRDO has transferred the technology to produce 2DG drug, which was given emergency use authorization as adjunct therapy in moderate to severe COVID-19 patients, to 4 pharma companies other than Dr Reddy’s: Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers in Lok Sabha
Blue origin launch: Bezos crew
Also flying: Bezos’ younger brother, Mark, and Wally Funk, one of 13 female pilots who went through the same testing back in the early 1960s as NASA’s Mercury astronauts, but failed to make the cut because they were women.
Blue Origin’s New Shepard spacecraft will lift off at 6.30 PM today
Our astronauts have completed training and are a go for launch. #NSFirstHumanFlight https://t.co/rzkQgqVaB6
— Blue Origin (@blueorigin) 1626733961000
Children can handle viral infection much better; it would be wise to consider reopening primary schools first: ICMR
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken is expected to visit India next week to hold bilateral talks with Indian leadership: Sources
TMC will not allow LS, RS to run till govt has open discussion on Pegasus: Derek O’Brien
TMC will not allow LS, RS to run till govt has open discussion on this (Pegasus). The govt tries to do politics with COVID. We don’t want discussion on farmers. Repeal farm laws & tomorrow discuss on Pegasus, or TMC’s position is ‘no more Parliament till Aug 13’: Derek O’Brien
Implications of 4th serosurvey
Implications of 4th serosurvey clearly show that there is a ray of hope but there is no room for complacency. We must maintain COVID appropriate behaviour & community engagement. National level serosurvey is not a substitute of state/district level serosurvey: ICMR DG
Covid: 40 crore of the population of India is still vulnerable
More importantly, a third of the population did not have antibodies i.e 40 crore of the population of the country is still vulnerable: ICMR DG Dr Balram Bhargava on Fourth National Serosurvey for Covid-19
We studied 7252 healthcare workers & 10% had not taken the vaccine, the overall seroprevalence in them was 85.2%. In conclusion, 2/3rd of general population i.e above the age of 6 yrs had SARS-CoV-2 infection
– ICMR DG Dr Balram Bhargava
There was no difference in seroprevalence in male and female and rural and urban areas. In unvaccinated, the seroprevalence was 62.3% & with one dose of vaccine, it was 81%. In those who receive both doses, it was 89.8%
– ICMR DG Dr Balram Bhargava
Actress Poonam Pandey on Raj Kundra’s arrest
“The only thing I’ll add is that I have filed a police complaint in 2019 against Raj Kundra and subsequently registered a case at the honourable high court of Bombay against him for fraud & theft. This matter is sub judice, hence I would prefer to limit my statements.”
Overall seroprevalence is 67.6% in the entire population
Overall seroprevalence is 67.6% in the entire population. In people of 6-9 years age group, it was 57.2%; in 10-17… https://t.co/40WMtie86f
— ANI (@ANI) 1626778143000
4th round of national sero survey
The 4th round of national serosurvey was conducted in 70 districts in June-July and included children of 6-17 years of age: ICMR DG Dr Balram Bhargava
It’s been decided that our ‘jatha’ of 200 people will go there. No discussion over permission, things are being discussed, can’t say anything now. Possibility of another meeting
– Farmer leader Balbir Singh Rajewal on meeting with Delhi Police on march to Parliament
Punjab allows reopening of schools for Classes 10, 11 & 12 from July 26
- Punjab Govt allows reopening of schools for Classes 10, 11 & 12 from July 26, with conditions that staff & teachers should be fully vaccinated & parents’ consent is taken.
- The number of people in indoor gatherings raised to 150 & outdoors to 300, subject to a cap of 50% capacity.
Sensex slumps 354.89 pts to end at 52,198.51; Nifty tumbles 120.30 pts to 15,632.10
Price as on 20 Jul, 2021 03:52 PM, Click on company names for their live prices.
Rupee gains 27 paise to close at 74.61 (provisional) against US dollar
Congress, SAD will not attend all-party meeting on COVID-19 called by govt, leaders say
Opposition doesn’t want Parliament to run smoothly. Pegasus project is conspiracy to ruin the nation. Telegraph Act is strong under PM Modi’s govt. It has cleared that legal interception is done & illegal hacking doesn’t take place
– Devendra Fadnavis, LoP in Maharashtra Assembly
Supreme Court said that it is a shocking state of affairs that the Kerala government has given in to the demand of traders in relaxing lockdown norms
Delhi records 44 new COVID-19 cases, five fatalities and 37 recoveries; positivity rate 0.07 per cent: Health bulletin
Dr JA Jayalal, IMA chief on SC pulling up Kerala govt for relaxing COVID restrictions for celebration of Bakrid
We’re not saying entire lockdown has to be imposed. It should be done in a uniform manner. Crowding should be controlled. We’re awaiting response of SC on this issue
SP MP Ram Gopal Yadav on Budget of Health Ministry
“Raise Budget of Health Ministry & build infrastructure for future challenges. Before the Budget, I told Nirmala ji to raise health Budget. Current health Budget is fake, actual Budget is only Rs 72,000 crores. You’ve added other depts’ Budget in health”
Over 45,000 cases of mucormycosis reported in country
A total of 45,432 cases of mucormycosis have been reported by states and UTs till July 15 of which 21,085 affected people are receiving treatment and 4,252 have died, the Rajya Sabha was informed, today. A large majority of mucormycosis patients (84.4 per cent) had reported a history of COVID-19, Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya said in a written reply.
Lok Sabha adjourned till 22nd July amid repeated disruptions by the Opposition
An alert has been issued to Delhi Police, as per which a major terror activity can be executed in the national capital with the help of drones. Terrorists and anti-social elements can execute this before 15th August
Lok Sabha proceedings adjourned for second time till 3 pm amid continued opposition protest
Govt seeks Parliament nod to spend net Rs 23,674.81 crore extra in current fiscal year
Court acquits a man accused of rioting and dacoity in last year’s north-east Delhi riots case
2nd ODI, SL vs IND: Sri Lanka win the toss and elect to bat against India at R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo.
Actress Shilpa Shetty’s husband & businessman Raj Kundra and one Ryan Tharp sent to Police Custody till 23rd July
Tamil Nadu had polls for 234 assembly seats in a day. West Bengal with 294 assembly seats had polls in 8 phases. Infection rate was 2.3% before polls but after 8 phases, it rose to 33%. Kudos to our CM, it has again come down below 1.8% now.
– TMC MP Dr Santanu Sen in Rajya Sabha
Last night, our booth worker in Raiganj, North Dinajpur, was murdered and TMC flag was placed in his mouth. They want to create fear in people’s minds. PM Modi’s margin is increasing in every election. India’s people will vote against instability.
– BJP leader Samik Bhattacharya
BJP leader and actor Khushbu Sundar’s Twitter account hacked. She will meet Tamil Nadu DGP around 3 PM today and give a complaint about the hacking.
Since all the tweets are deleted or archived by this hacker, I hope it does not spread hate, incite violence, or personally attack someone. Also, it should not be used for any anti-national activity.
Leader of opposition, Mallikarjun Kharge slams BJP in Rajya Sabha
- Lockdown was announced overnight, just like Demonatisation. Govt didn’t prepare for it. There were no trains for people to go back home. Livelihood of people was impacted. Govt should be held accountable
- Government asked people to wear masks & maintain social distancing. But what were they doing, during the elections in different states? You are breaking your own rules. They should be given credit for flouting COVID norms
- PM Modi appealed to people to clang utensils, light up candles. People trusted him & did all of it. He didn’t fulfill his promise but disappointed them. Instead of taking its blame, he made the health minister a scapegoat
Maha gov prepares policy for door-to-door vaccination in state
- Maharashtra government informs Bombay High Court that they have prepared a draft policy for door-to-door vaccination in the state, that would start from Mumbai from August 1st. Vaccination under this project will be free of cost, submits the state government.
- This policy is for elderly, bed-ridden patients and terminally ill patients who have been identified as eligible for the vaccination drive and it would start from August 1 under the jurisdiction of BMC.
Had it been UPA’s govt in power, BJP would have created ruckus in the country. They would not have let the House run smoothly. We also demand a probe by Joint Parliamentary Committee. Both PM Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah should tell the truth.
– Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena
I pay tribute to COVID warriors including doctors¶medics. I salute people who helped others by running ‘oxygen langer’ in Delhi during second wave of Covid-19. I also want to salute plasma donors, who came out in support.
– Mallikarjun Kharge,Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha
Names of two Central Ministers – Pralhad Joshi & Ashwini Vaishnaw have also emerged in snooping row. Later they were inducted into Union Cabinet. Vaishnaw, who has also been spied upon, was made Minister of same (IT) department.
– Shiv Sena’s Sanjay Raut on ‘Pegasus’
Raj Kundra & Ryan Tharp brought to Esplanade Court
Actress Shilpa Shetty’s husband & businessman Raj Kundra and one Ryan Tharp brought to Mumbai’s Esplanade Court. Kundra was arrested yesterday while Tharp was arrested today in connection with a case relating to the production of pornographic films.
UP CM Yogi on news of Pegasus
During Covid, the opposition has tried to spread nuisance. Right before the Monsoon Session, where important issues were to be discussed, a news like this was released. This shows the fall of democracy: Yogi Adityanath, UP CM on Pegasus project
There are reports about influx of Myanmar nationals into Indian territory through India-Myanmar border due to internal situation in Mynamar: Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in Lok Sabha
Swiggy closes $1.25 bn funding led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2 and Prosus: Company statement
Shashi Tharoor on Pegasus
- It’s been proved that phones examined in India had invasion of Pegasus. Since this product is only sold to vetted govts, question arises which govt? If GoI says they haven’t done it, some other govt did it, then it’s more serious national security concern
- If it turns out that it’s our govt & it’s authorized (to do it), GoI needs to give an explanation as the law only permits interception of communication for issues of national security, terrorism; otherwise, it’s illegal. Essential for govt to cooperate in a probe: Shashi Tharoor
India has issued the tender expected to be worth around Rs 50,000 crores for building six conventional submarines for the Indian Navy under Project-75 India. The tender has been issued to Mazagon Dockyards Limited and Larsen and Toubro.
– Defence Sources
Gangster Yusuf Bachkana, an aide of Dawood Ibrahim, arrested
Gangster Yusuf Bachkana arrested by Mumbai Anti-Extortion Cell and produced before a court today. He was arrested in connection with an extortion case and has been charged for murder too. He is an aide of gangster Dawood Ibrahim: Mumbai Crime Branch
Foreign nationals who enter into the country without valid travel documents or whose travel documents expire while staying in India are treated as illegal migrants & are dealt with as per existing legal provisions.
– Ministry of Home Affairs in Lok Sabha
Listening to personal conversation of people by spying upon their phone is a gross violation of right to privacy. If the BJP is getting this done, then this is punishable and if the BJP government is saying that it does not have the information about this, then it is its failure on national security
– Akhilesh Yadav, President, Samajwadi Party on the Pegasus allegations
Minister of Health to reply to COVID-19 questions at 5PM
Today’s Parliamentary session is set to resume at 1PM with COVID-19 on the agenda for four hours, post which Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya will answer queries
RS Chairman Naidu urges for normalcy in House for smooth discussion
Rajya Sabha Chairman Venkaiah Naidu stressed for normalcy in the House so that important issues can be discussed smoothly. Leader of House Piyush Goyal had an informal discussion with Opposition leaders seeking their cooperation for resumption of functioning of the House: Sources
Following morning disruptions in the Rajya Sabha, the House is to resume normal functioning at 1 pm: Sources
Cong MP DK Suresh cycles to Parliament to protest against fuel price surge
#WATCH | Congress MP DK Suresh and others cycle to the Parliament in protest against fuel price hike. "I am travell… https://t.co/AcoWFtAAFe
— ANI (@ANI) 1626764590000
GoI won’t enumerate cast wise population now, except SCs & STs
The State governments of Maharashtra and Odisha have requested to collect caste details in the forthcoming Census. The Government of India decided as a matter of policy not to enumerate caste wise population other than SCs and STs in Census: Ministry of Home Affairs in Lok Sabha
Gun battle with Naxals
1 ITBP jawan injured and 1 killed in a gun battle with Naxals near Amdai Ghaati under Chote Dongar PS Limit in Naraynapur, this morning: Bastar IG P Sundarraj. An ITBP constable named Shiv Kumar Meena has been killed in a gun battle with Naxals near Amdai Ghaati under Chote Dongar PS Limit in Naraynapur, this morning. Another constable who was injured is out of danger: Bastar IG P Sundarraj
This Article firstly Publish on economictimes.indiatimes.com